Amid Bannon Contempt Threat, Kinzinger Warns Trump Subpoena On The Table

Representative Adam Kinzinger warned Donald Trump that the House select committee investigating the Capitol riot would consider issuing him a subpoena, saying he is “not off-limits.”

Kinzinger’s comments come after the committee voted to recommend contempt of Congress charges for former Trump aide Steve Bannon, who had defied a subpoena to appear before the committee.

In an interview with MSNBC Wednesday evening, Kinzinger (R-IL) said the committee would be willing to consider a subpoena for the former President.

“I think we can get to all the information we need without him, but I think we are certainly willing to do it,” he said. “That’s something I want to make clear is he’s not off-limits.”

Almost immediately Kinzinger quantified his response by saying such a move may prove unnecessary.

“But I also think if we can get that information prior to him and obviously you recognize the second he’s subpoenaed it creates a whole circus, but we will do what we need to do,” the anti-Trump Republican added.

 

This isn’t the first time Kinzinger, obsessed with nearly everything Trump does or might not do, threatened the former President with a subpoena.

In an interview with CNN’s Anderson Cooper last week, the Illinois Republican was asked about the possibility of a subpoena being delivered either to Trump or his former vice president, Mike Pence.

“Your colleague, Chairman Bennie Thompson, has not ruled out a subpoena for former President Trump. Is that really realistic, a subpoena for him or vice president Pence?” Cooper asked.

“Yeah, I’m sure, you know, it is realistic,” replied Kinzinger. “I mean, we’re not going to jump to doing that immediately because obviously, that’s big.”

 

Kinzinger’s comments come as the House will vote later today to determine whether or not former Trump aide Steve Bannon should be held for criminal contempt of Congress after he defied a subpoena to appear before the committee investigating the January 6th riot.

The committee made the recommendation earlier this week. If the full House votes to advance the recommendation, it will then head to the Justice Department for final determination.

Attorney General Merrick Garland said the Department of Justice will “apply the facts and the law and make a decision” when it comes to the contempt of Congress referral.

Kinzinger appears disinterested in advice doled out by former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice who suggested the country needs to “move on” from the events surrounding the Capitol riot.

https://twitter.com/PatriotPartyPR/status/1450997702985084928?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

“Yes, it’s time to move on in a lot of ways. I’m one who believes that the American people are now concerned about what we call their kitchen table issues: the price of gasoline, inflation, what’s happening to their kids in school,” Rice said during an appearance on ‘The View.’

“The American people do have other concerns that we ought to be thinking about and talking about.”

via thepoliticalinsider

Get your Real American news

    Recent Articles

    Recent Posts